Thursday, October 2, 2008

Helpless

I hate seeing my friends in pain. More than that, I hate not being able to do anything about it. It breaks my heart to talk to a hurting friend on the phone, to hear the pain in their voice, and have nothing to say except a feeble, "I'm so sorry." I wish I had a way to fix it. I wish I had words that would take it away. I wish I could just snap my fingers and make their lives perfect. I wish that I could take all of their pain, their stress, their problems, everything that's weighing on their minds, away from them. I wish that I could bear it for them, if only for a moment, just to give them a chance to breathe.

I can't.

But I know Who can. So I do the only thing that I can do: I carry them to His feet, ask Him to take care of them, and trust Him to do it in a far better way than I ever could. I want to be like the friends of the paralyzed man in Mark 2 that carried him on his mat to Jesus. That's all I can do, but I will do it. I know I'm a kid. I know I don't understand all of the trials that my friends face. But as well as I can, I will do what my God calls me to do in Galatians 6:2, "Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." I will carry their burdens straight to the feet of Jesus, because it is the only thing I can do. Fortunately, it is also the best thing I can do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a great example! Thank you so much! I love you!

Anonymous said...

You are a wise young woman. Your friends are blessed to have you...and so am I. Love, Mom

Brenda said...

And the best thing that you CAN do....you are doing! Thank you for always being so encouraging.
God also calls us to lay our burdens down and He will give us mercy. Ah! What a freeing thought.

Can't wait to see you Saturday!