Monday, April 16, 2007

Driving and T-ball, what more could a girl ask for?

Wow! This day has been so crazy and so awesome, where do I even begin? How about the beginning.

The beginning came at 6:45 a.m., which for some of you doesn't sound that early, but for me, it's early. Mom came in and asked if I knew where the Driver Education affidavit was.

Me (not awake yet)--No.
(waking up)--Actually it should be in the box with the rest of the "Driver's Ed in a Box" stuff. (Duh!)

Mom--That's where I thought it was, but it's not in there.

WHAT!?!? That affidavit was one of the few things I had to have to get my permit today. We looked all over the house for it. (Okay, I'm taking too much credit. She looked all over the house for it, I went back to sleep.) We thought we had to have the original and not a copy, but Mom called the DPS office and found out that a copy would work to. Yea! They faxed it to Keith at work and we went to get it on our way to the community college. Why was I going to the community college? Because in addition to the affidavit, also had to have proof of reading proficiency, so we were going to the college to take the test. It wasn't that hard. I scored 107 out of 120, which is equivalent to a junior in college reading level. Yea, me! Now onto the DPS office to get that permit!

The line wasn't horrendously long like it was the last time I was in there, but their computers were out. So I got to do it the old fashioned way and take the test with...oh my goodness...a pencil and paper! I don't even remember how many questions there were, but I only missed one. The picture on my permit turned out much better than the one on my ID card, in which I had hat-hair and braces. AWESOME!!! I was so excited, but apparently that doesn't reflect everyone else's sentiments. As Stephen told my Nanny on the phone when she said how cool it was that I got my permit, "Yeah, it was fun for her, but not for anyone else." :-)

Now, as most of you know, I'm coaching Jonathan's T-ball team this year. It's tons of fun, if you like trying for an hour and a half (a minimum of twice a week) to capture the attention of 13 six-year old boys who all have attention spans of about 5 minutes. (This is an average. Some last as long as 10 minutes, while others seldom last 30 seconds :-D) I happen to love doing that, though, so it's great for me. Anyway, back to the point. We had our first game tonight, which was quite a sight to behold! I got to drive to the game! Woohoo! And the only complaint I got was from Taylor because I "drove 30 in a 40 mph zone." Not bad, if you ask me :-) The game was absolutely hysterical and wonderful. All the boys did really well, even though the outfield can get boring for those 30 second attention spans. Twice we ended up with two of our boys on second base at the same time. Mom is currently dictating and says, "That was the result of an overly aggressive first base coach combined with a quiet, conservative third base coach." Yep, that pretty much sums up the source of that problem. We actually did get three outs in the last inning. Our David and Jonathan combo worked out really well. The boys were great, from the third baseman who watched the ball that was thrown to him fall at his feet without picking it up, to the third baseman that somehow ended up on second base and facing the outfield. I love those boys. They're hilarious. I drove home from the game, too. (Hey, I have to get those required 55 hours somehow, even if it's only 10 minutes at a time.)

Needless to say, I had a great day. "This is the day that the Lord has made." And I have indeed rejoiced and been glad in it. Just watch out for a black suburban when you're driving down the road...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, Lindsay, I can't believe you are finally driving. It pains me that you have actually gotten old enough to have a learner's permit! You are supposed to be 11 years old...right? I'll be on the lookout for that black suburban...