Saturday, May 19, 2012

Psalm 46 - FCV (Foster Care Version)

I was reading this Psalm in the NIV the other day while listening to our six-year-old throw a tantrum in the background.  As I read, the Lord transformed the words in my mind and made them very real for that moment.  I chuckled to myself as His word again became living and active, but in a way I'd never experienced before.  If you're a foster parent (or any other parent, for that matter!), I hope this gives you a laugh and speaks to you the way it did to me!

"God is our refuge and strength,
     an ever-present help in the insanity.
Therefore we will not fear, though our
           patience give way
  and we want to toss everyone into the heart
          of the sea,
though children roar and foam
   and the mountains quake with their
           screaming.

There is a river whose streams make glad
          the home surrendered to God,
     making it a holy place where the Most High
             dwells.
God is within it, it will not fall;
    God will help it in the crazy mornings.
Children are in an uproar, plans fall;
    He lifts His voice, the insanity calms.

The Lord Almighty is with us;
     God draws us into His fortress,
   and reminds us that we're all on the same side.

Come and see what the Lord has done,
    the humility He has brought to the
             home.
He makes arguing cease
    at the end of the hallway.
He breaks the defiance and shatters the disobedience;
    He burns the pride with fire.
He says, "Be still, and know that I am
             God;
     I will be exalted among the children,
     I will be exalted in this home."

The Lord Almighty is with us;
    God draws us into His fortress,
   and reminds us that we're all on the same side."

No comments: