Friday, April 23, 2010

Great Ideas

This is Vanessa. She's one of our foster children. She's 9 years old. She and I share a room, which is an adventure. :-)


Tonight, I tucked her in bed. We read a book, and then we prayed. Vanessa always prays exactly what she's thinking, and I love that, but tonight her prayer really blew me away. She thanked God for letting her live in "a good place like this." She thanked Him that she gets to go live with her aunt soon. She thanked Him that her aunt has said she can stay in contact with us and "write them letters and maybe come see them once in a while." Then she said,

"God, I think You have really great ideas right now. You always have great ideas, and I will always trust You. Amen."

That is coming from a child whose life has been turned upside down over and over, and is going to be turned upside down again when she goes to live with her aunt in about a month. She doesn't know where her life is headed. She has no idea where she'll be this time next year. Her life is a mystery--a mystery that would scare most of us. But not Vanessa. Vanessa has found the secret: She knows that God has great ideas. And she knows she can trust Him. I think that's 9-year-old lingo for, "Not my will, but Yours be done." I'm so proud of Vanessa. She is learning to trust God and His great ideas, even when she doesn't know what those ideas are or where they will lead her. Thanks, Vanessa--you just redefined "trusting God" for me.

Father, let us all be more like Vanessa. Let us believe that Your plans and Your ideas are truly great, and help us to remember that we can trust You with all our hearts.

" 'For I know the [great ideas] I have for you,' declares the Lord..."

2 comments:

John McCoy said...

Awesome stuff. I want faith like a child.

Tammy said...

You and your family are such an inspiration to me...and now your extended family just got added to the inspirational list! Thanks, FF. I love you. Thought you should know.